It’s that time of year when you want to create better eating habits and set rewarding goals for yourself. But maybe you’re unsure of where to begin and how to start. Piling too many tasks in the first few days of starting something new isn’t always beneficial. Instead, building your foundation first and making minute changes that fit into your daily schedule is more rewarding and sustainable.
Today, we’re going to focus on how to begin eating better by taking a deeper look into our fridge and pantry.
- Check the expiration dates on products that have been lingering for a while. If something isn’t expired and you think you may get some use out of it, make something with it to use it up. If things are expired, or you don’t plan on using a product, get rid of it.
- Ingredient Evaluation – make swaps with products that may have a laundry list of ingredients and ingredients that aren’t recognizable to you. To name a few, you may want to look out for –
- Food dyes, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, MSG, artificial flavorings, thickening agents
- High fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners (Aspartame, Sucralose, Acesulfame K, Saccharin, Xylitol, Sorbitol), other chemically altered sugars (dextrose, maltose, maltodextrin, invert sugar, glucose solids, etc.), and bleached cane sugar
- Hydrogenated Oil Replacement – replace oils like canola, safflower, sunflower, rapeseed, soybean, and vegetable oil with better quality oils like avocado oil, olive oil, ghee, and coconut oil.
- Some of these hydrogenated oils can also be in packaged products. You can find similar products without these oils and better ingredients.
- Deep Clean – vacuum, dust, and wipe down all shelves and drawers. Start fresh!
- Aesthetic & Organization – bring your colorful and fresh foods to the front of your fridge/pantry. You’ll be more likely to grab a healthier snack and cook with more variety when you can see your options immediately. It’s also a good idea to buy clear containers and place products like nuts, seeds, and oats inside them. When these products are in their original packaging, we may not always include them in our meals.
Go through each of these steps to begin your health and wellness journey. I’m here to help if you need support!